This course is intended for those who hold a Bachelor's degree in another discipline, but who wish to acquire a knowledge of Theology and Religion at a level which would permit them to undertake further study in the subject.
The dissertation module is a core module on this course and you have to choose one module from the following optional modules: Social Scientific Methods in the Study of Religion or Gospels and Canon or Classic Texts in Christian Theology and another two modules from a range of optional modules availale varies from year to year Examples of optional modules: Optional modules in previous years have included two choices from: Aramaic Biblical Theology Paul and His Interpreters Conceiving Change in Contemporary Catholicism Liturgy and Sacramentality Christian Gender Principles of Theological Ethics Social, Scientific Methods in the Study of Religion Twentieth-Century Catholic Theology Anglican Theology in Context Gospels and Canon Middle Egyptian Patristic Ecclesiology Classic Texts in Christian Theology The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha and the New Testament The Bible and Hermeneutics Ecclesiology and Ethnography Catholic Social Thought Doctrine of Creation England's Religious Revolution 1640-62 The Thought of Thomas Aquinas in Context Religion in the Neo-Liberal Age Christianity in the Second Century Faith and Reason World and Image: Classic Foundation for Christian Visuality Introduction to New Testament Greek Christian Fundamentalism and the Modern World Advanced Hebrew Texts Literature and Religion Ritual, Symbolism and Belief in the Anthropology of Religion Christian Northumbria 600-750 High Medieval Franciscan Theology Theology, Nature and Environment Modules from the MA in Theology and Ministry Modules from the level 3 modules or level 1-2 language modules offered by the Department of Theology and Religion Modules from another Board of Studies Modules from the level 1-2 language modules by the University's Centre for Foreign Language Study Extended Study in Foreign Language
You will receive on average 7.5 hours of timetabled contact per week. This will include a combination of lectures, seminars, and tutorials. Timetabled contact is only the beginning of your learning. It provides a starting point for your development as an independent learner. Typically, classroom teaching and learning will form nearly 25% of the time you will spend on your studies, you will be expected to spend the remaining 75% of your time on independent research. You can opt to write a dissertation (40 credits), a large research project that would count for a third of your marks. This gives you the opportunity to engage at an advanced level with creative cutting edge research at the forefront of the discipline, working on a topic of your choice. For the dissertation, you will have a supervisor who will guide and discuss your research with you.
How to apply
If you are an international student who does not meet the requirements for direct entry to this degree, you may be eligible to take a pre-Masters pathway programme at the Durham University International Study Centre.
The standard entry requirement is a BA (Honours) degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent, for example, a GPA of 3.7 on a scale of 4.0 scale), but applicants from non-traditional backgrounds or with other qualifications may be considered subject to interview and a review of written work.
English language requirements
Durham University welcomes applications from all students irrespective of background. We encourage the recruitment of academically well-qualified and highly motivated students, who are non-native speakers of English, whose full potential can be realised with a limited amount of English Language training either prior to entry or through pre-sessional and/or in-sessional courses. It is the normal expectation that candidates for admission should be able to demonstrate satisfactory English proficiency before the start of a programme of study, whether via the submission of an appropriate English language qualification or by attendance on an appropriate pre-sessional course. Acceptable evidence and levels required can be viewed by following the link provided.
English language requirements
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
For further information see the course listing.
The Palatine Centre