The HNC in Business is designed to prepare you with the knowledge and fundamental skills to navigate the highly competitive and ever-changing business industry. The course is designed to help you develop the essential knowledge and skills needed to succeed within the business sector, while also giving broader insight into specialist areas including marketing, communications and human resources. You will gain insight into the different factors that influence modern-day businesses as well as the structures and strategies adopted by organisations to develop, grow and succeed. You can choose to start this course in September or January. Aims and objectives
- Develop knowledge and skills required for employment in a business environment.
- Acquire skills and knowledge in key business functions such as Management, Marketing, and Finance as well as developing knowledge and skills in Economics, Communication, Problem Solving and the influence of technology on the business environment and businesses themselves.
- Provide a grounding for students looking to start up their own business by integrating a Business Fundamentals unit while exploring emerging digital business models and getting an introduction to accounting.
- Develop study and research skills.
- Develop transferable skills including Core Skills to the levels demanded by employers.
Economic Issues: An Introduction Business Law: An Introduction Communications: Business Communication Business Fundamentals with Emergent Technologies Business Contractual Relationships Managing People and Organisations Accounting for Business: An Introduction Marketing: An Introduction Business Graded Unit 1
Theory and practice are taught through a variety of innovative learning methods and opportunities. Assessment will be through report, essays and case studies as well as presentations, group assessments and projects. The HNC includes a Graded Unit, which is a project in the form of a practical assignment. It is designed to assess your ability to retain and integrate the knowledge and skills gained in the award and also to grade your achievement. There are three grades: A — if you achieve 70% or over B — if you achieve between 60% and 69% C — if you achieve between 50% and 59%.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Applicants who do not meet the formal entry requirements are encouraged to apply and will be invited to attend an interview.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||5||Minimum of 5.0 in sub-components reading, listening and speaking. And 6.0 in writing|
English language requirements
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£4500||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£4500||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£4500||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Applicants can apply for UK government loans and funding. Bursaries & Scholarships of up to £3,000 are available.