Why Business Economics? Businesses are hungry for people who understand the core principles of economics. This specialist expertise can help businesses grow, develop and succeed. Our Business Economics BSc(Hons) aims to give you a good grounding in the key concepts of the subject, getting you ready to apply economics in the business arena. The course focuses on key areas such as Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, and Business. Macroeconomics gives you the chance to explore how high-level factors such as incomes, inflation and consumption affect each other. Microeconomics looks at how individual businesses and even households behave, and how to develop models to analyse them in even greater detail. Business studies are aimed at analysing how economic issues are relevant in the business context, but also how business start-up and small enterprise develop, and how culture affects business and management How will you learn? You'll learn through practical application and delivered lectures, workshops, seminars and group work sessions.
- During your study you'll study macroeconomics, which focuses on the importance of aggregate investment, consumption and what fuels economic growth.
- You will also have the chance to explore microeconomic theories and applications, which include sector specific practices such as competition, regulation and government intervention.
- You'll have the opportunity to develop a deep knowledge of how businesses operate and how managers make decisions, subject to resource constraints and competing economic objectives.
- In your third year we’ll give you the opportunity to take a placement year that could see you working in a business and gaining real world experience.
- Throughout the course you'll have the opportunity to study mathematics and statistics for social sciences, and econometrics. The quantitative modules will equip you with the tools used by professional economists to evaluate the impact of economic policies and analyse contemporary economic, financial and business phenomena.
- During your studies you'll have the opportunity to learn how to use Industry standard databases, such as Datastream, alongside sector leading software packages such as Stata, R and Eviews.
- You should come away from the course being able to understand and respond to situations in the business world, using a framework that you’ve established during your study of economics.
Year 1 Core modules: Introduction to Macroeconomics Introduction to Microeconomics Mathematics for Social Sciences Understanding Business Analytics Option modules: Choose one from a list which may include: Introduction to Financial Services Two options from a variety of modern foreign language modules can be chosen from the available range and entry levels appropriate to the student’s prior experience and knowledge. We currently offer French, German and Spanish. Year 2 Core modules: Intermediate Macroeconomics Intermediate Microeconomics Econometrics International Economics and Globalisation Applied Business Economics Option modules: Choose one from a list which may include: Business Creation and Development Leadership: Theory and Practice Two options from a variety of modern foreign language modules can be chosen from the available range and entry levels appropriate to the student’s prior experience and knowledge. We currently offer French, German and Spanish. Year 3 - optional placement year The course offers a one-year (48 weeks) work placement after the second year, in the UK or abroad. Final Year Core modules: Applied Econometrics Undergraduate Dissertation Decision Science Climate Economics and Finance Option modules: Choose one from a list which may include: Industrial Economics Marketing for Small Business Managing Across Cultures Advances in Leadership
Study and assessments will be based on your choice of modules. Your module specification/course handbook will provide full details of the assessment criteria applying to your course.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
In addition you must have GCSE Maths at grade 5 or above, or grade B or above if awarded under the previous GCSE grading scheme. If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent will be considered acceptable. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages - https://www.hud.ac.uk/international/where-are-you-from/ Other suitable experience or qualifications will be considered. For further information please see the University's minimum entry requirements.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Please see our website for full details of the scholarship http://www.hud.ac.uk/undergraduate/fees-and-finance/undergraduate-scholarships/
University of Huddersfield
Clearing contact detailsClearing places available at Huddersfield Uni
General Clearing for Applicants
Clearing Phone Line Opening Times: Tuesday 10th August - 8.30am to 7.00pm Wednesday 11th August - 9.00am to 6.00pm Thursday 12th August - 09.00am to 5.00pm Friday 13th August - 09.00am to 5.00pm Saturday 14th August - 10.00am to 3.00pm Sunday 15th August - closed Monday 16th August to Friday 20th August - 9.00am to 5.00pm
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Huddersfield Business School - Admissions
+44 (0)1484 472956
Student Recruitment Team
+44 (0)1484 472625