This modern degree leads to a range of career paths. Differing from traditional approaches to English, you’ll study and analyse literary texts within the context of the media and learn to write creatively and professionally for a variety of audiences. Why study BA (Hons) English at BU?
- Tailor your degree including options to study both creative or traditional units and discover the latest developments in digital media and new media storytelling.
- Showcase your writing to industry professionals through BU's annual Fresher Writing Prize and New Media Writing Prize competitions
- Put theory into practice during a four-week or 30-week placement with organisations such as Penguin Books, BBC, Pinewood Studios, Touch Press and the Football Foundation
- Develop a range of subject-specific and transferable skills which can open the door to an exciting range of career possibilities or further study. You’ll be career-ready with 100% of our graduates in employment or further study after 15 months. (DiscoverUni 2022)
- Benefit from industry speakers sharing their writing experiences – previous guests include Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes and Stella Wisdom from the British Library
During the Foundation Year, you will study Academic & Professional Practice | Collaborative Communication Project | Understanding Contemporary Britain | Law & Government. As part of the Degree, you will study Media & Society | Adaptation | Language Matters | Forms & Contexts | Approaches to Literature | Modernism & Postmodernism | Gender & Sexuality | Children’s Literature | Narrative Structures | Writing for the Media | Dissertation or Creative Dissertation
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|