Overview Whether you’re due to graduate with a GDC accredited CertHE Dental Nursing or other Level 4 Dental Nursing Qualification, or you’re a practising dental nurse and keen to develop your career, this Advanced Dental Nursing Professional Practice degree will boost your prospects. It enables you to top-up your existing qualifications to a BSc (Hons) degree in just 2 years full-time or 4 years part-time. You'll develop your clinical skills and learn to become more interactive with patient care and to improve skill mix within the dental team. You'll gain graduate skills to help you progress into senior dental nursing roles and practice at a higher level. Employers recognise the part that dental nurses with advanced skills contribute to improving dental care across the UK. As demand for dental care services continues to rise, you’ll be well placed to take advantage of opportunities to grow your role. Course highlights
- Broaden your clinical skills in areas ranging from impression taking to radiography
- Get ready for opportunities as a lead dental nurse, clinical coordinator or practice manager by developing knowledge and skills in mentorship and clinical audit
- Develop demonstrable skills in leadership and decision-making, communication and managing people
- Build your credibility for senior roles by gaining knowledge and understanding of clinical governance
- Apply your learning in the community as part of a clinical student team, treating real patients via the University of Portsmouth Dental Academy and its outreach projects
- Enhance your professional contacts by networking with visiting industry figures and forging links with lecturers who are active in dental practice
- general dental practice (NHS or private)
- specialist services such as cosmetic dentistry and dental implants
- pharmaceutical industry
- oral care industry
- dental education
- supervision of trainee dental nurses
- What jobs can you do with a BSc (Hons) Advanced Dental Nursing Professional Practice?
- senior dental nurse
- clinical coordinator
- dental practice manager
- graduate roles in the pharmaceutical industry
- graduate roles in the oral care industry
Year 1 Core modules in this year include: Advanced Strength and Conditioning – 20 credits Applied Skill Acquisition – 20 credits Professional Development – 20 credits Project – 40 credits Sport Entrepreneurship and Business Venturing – 20 credits There are no optional modules in this year. Year 2 Core modules in this year include: Behaviour Management – 20 credits Enhancing Advanced Dental Nursing Professional Practice – 40 credits Leading Safe and Effective Care (Dental) – 20 credits Project – 40 credits There are no optional modules in this year.
This is a new course and we’re currently finalising the detailed information for this page. You can still see entry requirements and apply.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
120 HE credits at level 4 (Certificate) in Dental Nursing related subjects. Applicants with Dental Nurse GDC Registration and sufficient level 5 credits from FDSc or DipHE or equivalent Dental Nursing education programmes can apply for direct entry (with advanced standing) to level 6, subject to RPL. All applicants must have a qualification that is recognised by the GDC and allows them to work as a dental nurse in the UK.
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
Applicants must pass Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check before starting the course.
Applicants must pass Occupational Health check before starting the course.
All shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview in support of their application.
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6.5||English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.|
|PTE Academic||61||An overall score of 61 with a minimum of 54 in each skill.|
|TOEFL (iBT)||91||91 with a minimum of 20 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 20 in Writing|
|Cambridge English Advanced||Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) taken after January 2015. An overall score of 176 with no component score less than 169.|
|Cambridge English Proficiency||Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) taken after January 2015. An overall score of 176 with no component score less than 169.|
|Trinity ISE||Trinity College Integrated Skills in English (ISE) Level III with a Pass in all 4 components|
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|