Our BSc (Hons) Biology degree offers the chance to gain a solid grounding in the biological sciences – with the flexibility to develop your own interests and learn about the areas and aspects of biological sciences that match your career ambitions. Study biology at Manchester Met and you’ll begin by learning the fundamentals of the subject, before exploring the areas that interest you most through a variety of option units. Along the way, you’ll explore the issues that shape our world and touch our lives – from molecular biology, microbiology and genetics, to ecology, animal behaviour, biodiversity and conservation. The programme also allows you to develop your own interests in areas such as comparative anatomy and physiology, plant science, brain and behaviour, population biology, biotechnology, biochemistry and the conservation of biodiversity, to tailor your learning to your career aspirations. In our laboratories, you’ll get to grips with the latest equipment, as we help you develop a range of practical skills that you can take into your career. And, by getting out in the field, you can learn about biology out in the real world – whether in the UK or overseas. Our biology degree also provides the option of spending an extra year expanding your horizons, either studying with one of our partner universities overseas, or working on a placement with a business or non-governmental organisation. FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Explore the topics and issues that shape the world around us, and choose from a range of exciting and rewarding specialisms within biology.
- Develop practical skills in the laboratory and in the field – that could include fieldwork in the UK, Portugal, Tanzania, or Kenya.
- You can take the four-year route, spending a year studying overseas in Europe, North America or Australia, or boosting your career prospects with a 9-12 month placement.
- We are investing £115m to transform the way we teach in the Faculty of Science and Engineering. Opening in 2023, our new Dalton building will enhance collaboration between students, staff and industry and provide new and improved teaching spaces, including a 200-student capacity ‘super lab’.
- Learn in high-specification laboratories, including a specialist microbiology and cell/molecular biology lab, a DNA-sequencing lab, specialist animal behaviour facilities with Ethovision and Observer software, invertebrate behaviour, freshwater and terrestrial ecology labs, and controlled environment plant growth chambers.
- We have embedded career preparation activities into each year of your course to help build your confidence to apply for your future graduate career.
- Manchester is on the doorstep of the Peak District National Park and within two hours’ drive of three other National Parks, making it an ideal location to study biology.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English Language or Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills English and GCSE grade C/4 or above in Mathematics or Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills Mathematics. The level 2 requirements may also be met through the level 3 course requirements for the course; please contact the University directly if you require further information.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 69 69