From CT scanners, X-ray and MRI machines, to pacemakers, defibrillators, stethoscopes and even spectacles, medical engineering has saved and enhanced lives, improving treatment and delivery for patients and medical practitioners alike. Our MSc prepares you for careers in this fascinating design discipline, inventing the next generation of ground-breaking medical devices. You’ll have the chance to work on a real project, gaining invaluable work experience via an optional internship. The course is led by Professor Peter Ogrodnik, a named inventor on numerous patents, who literally wrote the book on Medical Device Design, now a core text in R&D departments worldwide. Why study this course?
- Taught by staff with direct industry experience, including the manufacture and distribution of orthopaedic trauma devices through the spin-out company Intelligent Orthopaedics.
- We offer wide and varied internship opportunities, giving you the chance to build your CV with practical industrial experience.
- Strong links with industry with expert speakers and field trips previously, for example, to visit a manufacturer of sterilisation equipment and the biggest medical device trade fair, Medica.
- Teaching in the School is informed by world-class research – 80% ranked world-leading or internationally excellent in the latest Research Excellence Framework.
- Keele is ranked top 5 in England for Medicine (Times Good University Guide 2022) and top 20 in the UK for Pharmacology and Pharmacy (The Complete University Guide 2022).
For information regarding modules for this course, please visit the course page on the Keele University website.
Applicants need a 2:1 degree in a relevant scientific or technical discipline. In exceptional circumstances applicants with appropriate professional qualifications and/or work experience may be accepted at the University's discretion. For international applicants, an English language IELTS score of 6.5 is required.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Clearing contact detailsHave your results? If so, enquire now.
From Wednesday 5 July: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm (weekdays only) Thursday 17 August: 8.00 am - 8.00 pm Friday 18 August: 8.30 am - 6.00 pm Saturday 19 August: 10.00 am - 3.00 pm Sunday 20 August: 10.00 am - 1.00 pm From Monday 21 August: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm ( weekdays only)