From sports equipment to high-tech operating theatres for hospitals, vehicles and public transport infrastructure, and industrial applications such as the structural design of oil platforms – mechanical engineers play a crucial part in shaping the way we live. A wide range of skills are needed to be able to successfully design and manufacture what we need in an efficient, environmentally friendly and sustainable way – and meet the demands and challenges of the modern world. As the branch of engineering that involves the design, production, and operation of machinery. mechanical engineers must be able to combine engineering physics and mathematics principles with materials science. Studying mechanical engineering at Leeds will open up a whole world of opportunities for your career. You’ll develop your abilities, knowledge and skills across the full range of mechanical engineering, from the fundamentals of design and manufacture to fluid dynamics. You’ll also have scope to specialise in fields that interest you, such as vehicle design or biomedical engineering. Our degree programmes develop world-class mechanical engineers who help meet the challenges facing the machine manufacturing sector. Our active Industrial Advisory Board helps inform the development of this course to ensure that it is up-to-date with industry developments and requirements. That’s one of the reasons why our graduates are so in demand from industry, and why our courses are accredited by the leading professional bodies. This is a practical course, so you’ll benefit from specialist facilities including extensive lab space and equipment our high-spec CAD cluster for design work, High Performance Computing for aerodynamics analysis and workshop facilities for various rapid prototyping systems. You’ll also develop your programming skills in industry standard languages like LabVIEW and Matlab, giving you everything you need to get started on your career in mechanical engineering. Why Study at Leeds
- Graduate with accredited mechanical engineering degree from a university 6th in the UK for Mechanical Engineering, Guardian University Guide 2022, and Top 100 in the world for Engineering, Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2022.
- Work on your own mechanical projects, putting into practice what you have learned by designing, manufacturing and assembling devices and testing their performance.
- Develop your experience and boost your career prospects with our paid industrial placement opportunities or study abroad programmes.
- Experience teaching from a programme team with extensive industry experience, led by Dr Junfeng Yang, whose research focuses on turbulence, combustion, internal combustion engines, two-phase flows, heat and mass transfer.
- Take advantage of our world leading research here at Leeds, which helps to solve real world mechanical engineering problems.
- Make the most of university links with the Leeds Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Robotics Leeds, the School of Medicine and the Faculty of Biological Sciences.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Mechanical Engineers, Institution of
How to apply
This course has limited vacancies, and is no longer accepting applications from some students. See the list below for where you normally live, to check if you’re eligible to apply.
Republic of Ireland
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
Entry requirements for advanced entry (i.e. into Year 2 and beyond)
Subject to places being available, you must achieve our published first year entry requirements and the relevant % average in your first year of study. Learning outcomes of year 1 of the degree programme you are applying to must also have been met.
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in each section.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
University of Leeds