This degree develops high-calibre engineers who are able to function both as an engineer and a technology leader in sectors such as aerospace, marine, automotive, alternative energy, oil and gas, and other high-tech industries. Why study BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering at BU?
- Choose to take the course as either a BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) or MEng (Master of Engineering) qualification
- As well as giving you a solid grounding in engineering, the course provides an inspirational insight into emerging technologies within the sector and how to apply them to real-world situations
- Learn from industry-seasoned academics, practitioners and guest speakers
- You’ll have access to state-of-the-art Innovation Centre, a designated space for Design and Engineering students
- Take part in a career-affirming minimum 30-week period in a work placement, helping you to make contacts and boost your potential within the profession. Within 15 months of graduating, 95% of our students are in employment or further study (source DiscoverUni 2023).
- Exhibit your work at the Festival of Design & Engineering, one of BU’s longest running events, giving the public and potential employers an insight into your work.
During the Foundation Year, you will study Academic Study Skills for Engineering and Technology | Introduction to Computers | Mathematics for Engineering and Technology | Introduction to Engineering Science | Introduction to Computer-Aided Design Tools | Foundation Year Engineering and Technology Project. You will also be able to take an optional work placement.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Engineering Designers, Institution of
- Mechanical Engineers, Institution of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
English language requirements
IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|