Our MSc/PgDip Analytical Bioscience provides hands-on experience and training in a wide range of analysis techniques and instrumentation used in the molecular biosciences, biomedical and pharmaceutical sectors. It is designed to allow flexibility in attendance requirements and offers the opportunity to complete a novel research project in one of our excellent research laboratories. Highlights
- Very flexible modular course: one-third is delivered by distance learning, allowing you to combine study with other commitments.
- Part of the Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, a joint initiative with University College London.
- Taught in the Department of Biological Sciences, which offers state-of-the-art instrumental and computing facilities, and the possibility of collaborating with industry.
- The department and the Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology also provide a seminar programme and skills training across disciplines.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Taught modules are assessed by coursework and unseen written papers. The project is assessed entirely by coursework, including a written report, and oral and poster presentations.
How to apply
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses, foundation programmes and language support services to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in a scientific subject or with appropriate work experience. Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
English language requirements
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6780||Year 1|