The graphic design industry contributes significantly to the economy; it supports the communication of concepts and ideas, opening up experiences for consumers, and has the potential to remove barriers and enable engagement. In this space, new technologies and socioeconomic changes bring significant challenges as well as opportunities for graphic design practitioners. Working as a graphic designer requires an understanding of historic and current developments in order to develop relevant concepts and solve creative problems. Creating work requires an understanding of the development processes and the technical skills to produce outcomes. This is balanced with the need for professional practice skills and the ability to communicate to audiences. On this programme students will develop the underlying knowledge and skills that will enable them to begin their journey in the graphic design industry. Combining research, development and production, students will explore the knowledge, understanding and technical skills required to progress within the sector.
- This qualification will ensure you are interview-ready at the end of the two years with a substantial portfolio of creative work.
- Students are given exciting and imaginative projects covering all aspect of the industry and include : Editorial/Magazine design, Logos and Branding, Moving Graphics, Poster design, Book Cover design, Typography and Packaging Design.
- Students will learn the major disciplines behind graphic design and learn the Adobe software programmes of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects.
- Students research design movements and build an awareness of the work of major contemporary and historical graphic design experts.
- Students will learn to think creatively, to tap into an ability to think outside the box and create original and exciting design.
- Taught by an industry professional in both Graphic Design and Illustration.
- Cultural trip opportunity in the second year of study : examples New York, Paris, Lisbon, Berlin and Barcelona.
- Connections made with local Design Groups, visits to commercial printers and Guest Speakers based in industry.
- Full Professional Practice training - marketing yourself as a Graphic Designer, portfolio and business website development, interview techniques and self-branding.
- Purpose built professional studio with full access to exceptional print room (etching, Screen-printing, T-Shirt print, Risograph and Letterpress.) Full access to photographic studio and darkroom, editing suites, access to film cameras and studios.
- Client presentations
- Business marketing skills
- Interview Techniques
- Live Industry-led projects
- Professional output of print ready designs for brochures, magazines, flyers, branding and moving Graphics
- Freelance business tutoring
- Editorial Design
- Packaging Design
- Publishing – Book cover design
- Music Industry design departments
- Information Graphics
YEAR 1 Module A: Process and Practice Module A1 : Concept & Development Module A2 : Creative Project YEAR 2 Module B: Professional Creative Practice Module B1 : Personal Professional Development Module B2 : Professional Project
Qualified teacher status (QTS)
To work as a teacher at a state school in England or Wales, you will need to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS). This is offered on this course for the following level:
- Course does not award QTS
How to apply
This course is not accepting applications from students requiring a Student visa. For more information, please contact the course provider.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- North Star Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
We are unable to consider applicants on a student visa.
Additional entry requirements
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||5.5||No less than 5.5 in reading, writing, speaking and listening.|
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£7000||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Information about our scholarships and bursuries can be found here: https://he.newcollege.ac.uk/students/higher-education-scholarship