Nottingham Trent University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Building surveyors are advisers for the property and construction industry, identifying defects and suggesting options for maintenance and repair. Core aspects of the role include the development of new buildings, alongside the refurbishment and restoration of existing properties.
This course will provide you with the skills and knowledge to become a specialist in this field.On this course you'll develop a detailed understanding of architectural styles and influences, the history of buildings and building techniques, the evaluation of building elements, and the performance of building materials.
Professional accreditation | Our course is triple accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE). These represent your first step towards Chartered status.
NTU is renowned | We're ranked 2nd in the UK for Building and Town and Country Planning (Guardian University Guide 2019).
Live projects | Apply your learning to the real world, with opportunities to take part in site visits and live projects as part of the course. Previous projects have been set by companies such as Faithful+Gould and Gleeds.
Study trips | Experience inspiring trips in the UK and abroad, the cost of which is included in your course fees. Recently, students visited Malta to experience building process on the continent.
Placement year | Gain vital skills and experience in the workplace by undertaking a one-year placement on our sandwich route. Previously, students have spent their placements at companies such as Baily Garner, Paragon and Innes England.
- Outstanding employability | 94% of our BSc (Hons) Building Surveying sandwich students are in work or further study within six months of finishing their studies, earning an average graduate salary of £26,600 (latest DLHE survey, 2016-2017).
- Professional, Academic and Business Skills (20 credit points)
- Surveying Skills (20 credit points)
- Construction (20 credit points)
- Economics and Valuation (20 credit points)
- Law (20 credit points)
- Planning and Land Use (20 credit points)
- Structural Appraisal (20 credit points)
- Contract Administration and Procurement (20 credit points)
- Building Design Project (40 credit points)
- Property Development: Principles and Practice (20 credit points)
- Employability and Commercial Awareness (20 credit points)
- This is your opportunity to spend a year working in industry, giving you real hands-on experience and introducing you to exciting opportunities for your future employment. A successful completion of the placement year will lead you to an additional qualification – the Diploma in Professional Practice.
- Heritage and Conservation (20 credit points)
- Building Surveying Practice (40 credit points)
- Research Project (20 credit points)
- Building Pathology (40 credit points)
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Chartered Surveyors, Royal Institution of
- Chartered Institute of Building
- Building Engineers, Chartered Association of
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||City Campus|
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||120 points|
|A level||BBB||120 UCAS Tariff points from three A-levels|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||Pass your Access course with 60 credits overall with a minimum of 45 credits at level 3|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||
GCSE English grade C/4 or equivalent.
GCSE Maths grade C/4 or GCSE Science grade C/4 or equivalent
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||120 UCAS Tariff points from your BTEC Level 3 National Diploma and one A-level or equivalent qualification|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)||120 UCAS Tariff points from your BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate and two A-levels or equivalent qualifications|
We also consider equivalent qualifications and combinations. Please contact Nottingham Trent University Admissions team for further information.
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9,250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9,250||Year 1|