Solent University (Southampton) has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Working in construction? Ready to take the next step in your career? This top-up course - designed for international students who want to earn a university qualification here in the UK - will help you to turn your existing experience into a valuable bachelor’s degree. You’ll study a curriculum that is tailored to the needs of international students, improving your understanding of built environment roles and their application within the global construction industry.
Core topics (including construction technology, design and project management) frame an in-depth study of sustainability and environmental impact. By working on industry projects and case-studies, you will have the opportunity to apply the things you’ve learned to real workplace scenarios. Additional training covers communication, resilience, self-awareness and teamwork; all of which are applicable to the professional construction environment.
The course team come from a range of professional backgrounds, holding many years’ experience in both higher education and the construction industry. They are actively involved with their industry colleagues, working on academic research and holding committee positions at a range of professional bodies. Opportunities to shadow professionals in the workplace have been built into the curriculum
As an overseas student, you will be well supported as you adapt to life in the UK. You’ll benefit from regular contact with both a student ‘buddy’ and an allocated course tutor. Your course tutor will assess your skills and knowledge, providing you with tailored support throughout the year.
The course is part of a well-respected and recognised programme, endorsed by our large network of employers. Many of our past students have found work through this network, putting future graduates in a good position to confidently seek employment.
Core unitsInternational Construction and DesignIntegrated ProjectAcademic and Professional Practice*Project Research Paper
Sustainable Construction and DesignOptions:Professional Practice and CommunicationBuilding Production
*Please note: Not all optional units are guaranteed to run each year.
The majority of the course is assessed via coursework (83%). The remaining grade is made up of practical exams (17%). Coursework includes case studies, live briefs, access workshops and conference papers.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
All international applicants need to be aware that the English language requirements to attend Southampton Solent University, and the English language requirements to obtain a visa from the Home Office, may be different. This means that if you meet the Southampton Solent University language requirement to gain a place on the course, you may still have to meet additional requirements to be granted with a visa by the Home Office. We strongly advise all applicants to visit the Home Office website which outlines all the requirements for a successful visa application and to take a look at this PDF document which outlines both Solent University and Home Office requirements for a number of language tests.
|UCAS Tariff||Not accepted|
|HND (BTEC)||M||Merit profile or above|
Applicants should have either:
A foundation degree or HND in a relevant built environment subject area, a Chinese Associate/Ordinary Diploma iwth a suitable profile in key subjects or a portfolio of equivalent qualifications.
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an appropriate level of proficiency in the use of the English language.
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9,250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9,250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Southampton Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria. Check out our bursaries and scholarships pages to find out more.
East Park Terrace
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Main Contact - Admissions and Enrolment Team
+44 (0) 23 8201 5066