Build. Test. Play.
BA (Hons) Games Design gives you the opportunity to take the software tools of games design and create new gaming experiences. From storyboarded concepts to playable prototypes to user testing and evaluation, you’ll design the code as well as the visual feedback systems so you’re ready to join the industry and develop new games from scratch. This course is taught at London College of Communication, at Elephant & Castle, part of University of the Arts London.
What can you expect?
• BA (Hons) Games Design will teach you how to take the software tools of games design and create new gaming experiences from concept to finished game. Explore skills sought by industry, such as coding and programming; enabling you to translate an idea into playable prototypes and use software to achieve your design goals and creative direction.
• The focus of the course looks at the challenge presented by the game, as defined by the rules of play. You will design and build dynamic systems, which develop player experience as mental processing, physical input and emotional response.
• Key topics covered include interactive design, the psychology of games, designing the experience of play, computer programming and 3D modelling. You'll learn how to write game design documents starting from the initial concept, before mastering the various stages of development.
• You will be taught in a way that encourages you to regularly generate new concepts and to remain innovative in your practice. You'll learn the design and development skills necessary to put you at the forefront of this growing profession and which are sought after by leading design and software companies worldwide.
• You will study in a lively studio atmosphere and benefit from access to a wide range of technical resources and facilities. Learning is through lectures, group seminar work, specialist tutor sessions, one-to-one tutorials, technical demonstrations and workshops.
Work experience and opportunities
The career opportunities for graduates include games design, level design, content creation, project management, quality management and localisation. BA (Hons) Games Design graduates have gone on to work within the games industry as designers, producers, developers, 3D/2D content creators, localisation and quality assurance managers. They also excel in roles outside of the games industries as flash developers, web developers and 3D modellers.
About London College of Communication (LCC)
The LCC experience is all about learning by doing. As an LCC student, you’ll get your hands dirty and develop your skills in outstanding technical spaces. Our facilities are at an industry standard and include photographic and television studios, darkrooms, 3D workshop, prototyping lab, gallery spaces, printing studios, and newsrooms.
Our courses are industry focused and you’ll be taught by an inspiring community of experienced academics, technical experts, and leading specialist practitioners within our Design School, Media School and Screen School.
We offer a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in subjects such as journalism, advertising, Public Relations and publishing, photography, film, television and sound, graphic communication, illustration and visual communication, animation, games, design management, branded spaces and interactive and information design.
Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
London College of Communication
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||London College of Communication|
This means the year in which you would like to start the course.
‘Year 1’ means you will start in the first year.
‘Year 0’ means you will enter onto a foundation year.
You may be able to start some courses in the second or third years, if you meet certain criteria. You will need to discuss this with the university or college directly.
The following entry points are available for this course:
|Channel Islands||£9,250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9,250||Year 1|