University Centre Somerset - Bridgwater & Taunton College has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
The BSc (Hons) in Agricultural Management Top-up aims to provide students with a learning environment which builds on the platform of the College's Foundation Degree. Alternatively students could have studied a similar Foundation Degree elsewhere.
This programme has three core principles:
Employability: giving students the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in a modern workforce, whether focused on farm management or an associated industry.
Sustainability: students have the freedom to research, analyse and apply a topic of their choice within the constraints that it offers sustainable solutions in the agri-food sector.
Technology: enabling students to gain confidence in handling technical data and components found in modern technological systems.
The two day full-time study structure will allow students to travel longer distances to travel with just one overnight stay. Part-time (one day) is also available. Both modes of study will enable students to continue in employment alongside study.
Industry links form a critical part of our course with regular visits, guest speakers and workshops from sector leaders.
The course is made up of 5 modules, covering managerial aspects of modern agriculture. Theoretical teaching methods can involve seminars, visits and demonstrations by industry specialists. However the emphasis at this level will be self-directed study with periodic tutorials.
The areas of study include:
Agricultural business opportunities and marketing:
An investigation into a range of agricultural business opportunities (including renewables and alternative land use) and an examination of marketing methods and marketing opportunities for a range of agricultural products.
Agricultural business management:
Monitoring a business and preparing for the future including succession and tax planning.
Strategic and human resource management:
This module examines the nature and significance of strategic management, introducing theories, methods and tools which can assist strategic thinking, planning and implementation. It also provides students with an overview of key elements of human resources management.
This module will allow the student to investigate, in depth, a topic of their choice and apply the findings to a practical situation. It will use applied research skills, investigation, critical appraisal and justification.
Data synthesis for management in the agrifood sector:
The learner will study the latest technological systems for data capture on and off farm Modern farms, food buyers and agribusiness use data from sensors and the internet constantly to monitor and improve performance. The student will become skilled in using and managing data from the cloud and sensors to make informed decisions.
Teaching methods will mainly involve lectures, seminars and demonstrations. You will learn via a combination of methods which include farm-based investigations, fieldwork and visits.Three modules are assessed via 100% assignment or individual project. Two modules are assessed via one practical-based assignment, which makes up 60% of the final mark and one written examination taken at the end of the unit which generates the other 40%.
How to apply
This course has limited vacancies, and is no longer accepting applications from some students. See the list below for where you normally live, to check if you’re eligible to apply.
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Cannington Campus|
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||Not accepted|
|A level||Not accepted|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||Not accepted|
|Access to HE Diploma||Not accepted|
|Scottish Higher||Not accepted|
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£8,000||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£7,800||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Clearing Contact Details
Fax: 01278 444363
Thursday 15 August - 0800 - 2000 Friday 16 August - 0800 - 1800 Saturday 17 August - 1000 - 1400 week commencing 19 August - Monday - Thursday 0830 - 1700 Friday 0830 - 1630
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Information and Guidance