The International Foundation Year (IFY) is for international students with high academic potential who wish to take an undergraduate degree programme at a British university but who do not qualify for direct entry. They must have completed 11 or 12 years of full-time education in their home country.
Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Main Site - Highfield Campus
On the International Foundation Year you will complete a set of core (compulsory) modules as well as elective (specialised) modules relevant to your chosen degree. Each week you will have approximately 20 hours of tuition including lectures, seminars and tutorials. You will also spend at least 15 hours a week studying independently with the guidance of your tutors and personal academic advisor. Your work will include essays, presentations and exams as part of your assessment. In addition, you will have to do a Personal Research Project in your second semester. This will be a study of a topic related to your chosen degree area supported by your academic advisor.
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site - Highfield Campus|
The following entry points are available for this course:
|UCAS Tariff||Not accepted|
|A level||Not accepted|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||Not accepted|
|Access to HE Diploma||Not accepted|
|Scottish Higher||Not accepted|
The International Foundation year is for non - native English speakers. A level qualifications are not suitable for this course.
The International Foundation Year may be suitable for those who:
- Are a capable International or EU student who have 11 or 12 years of full time education in their own country
- Want to study at a UK university, but need a year to adapt to the UK higher education system
- Don't have the required English language level for entry to an undergraduate degree programme
English language level:
Please see our website for further information http://www.southampton.ac.uk/socsci/undergraduate/courses/Economics_UGcourses/lmvo_foundation_year_law_arts_management_and_the_social_sciences.page
To join the IFY you will need one of the following:
- A minimum level of IELTS 5.5 or equivalent with at least 5.5 in each component
- Pearson Test of Academic English 51 in each component
- TEEP 6.0 overall
- FCE Grade A or an equivalent standard in other qualifications approved by the University
|Channel Islands||£9,250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9,250||Year 1|