University of Wales Trinity Saint David has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
FIVE REASONS TO CHOOSE CREATIVE WRITING AND PHILOSOPHY:
• Academically and creatively challenging: we aim to nurture your creative talent across a range of different forms - including short stories, screenplays, poetry, drama and novels.
• We give you the opportunity to develop an understanding of the world of publishers focusing on your research and editing skills and exploring key aspects of publication.
• Studying philosophy encourages the development of core skills highly prized by employers: the ability to think clearly, logically, and creatively; communicate articulately and accurately; analyse critically and rigorously. Philosophy graduates are all-rounders: thoughtful, insightful, and versatile.
• We take an immersive approach to learning offering a diverse range of teaching approaches, including lectures, seminars, tutorials and workshop sessions.
• You will attend small-group classes with a focus on discussion and learning activities to encourage the self-development and critical reflection accepted as key to the development of personal and professional capacities.
This degree combines the academic study of Creative Writing and Philosophy. In Creative Writing, alongside the form and genre options, you will take modules in research and archiving, following which you will create a major piece of work, which may lead to publication. Throughout your three years you will have regular contact with, and support from, a range of different writers.
Philosophy explores the big questions - Who are we? What is our place in the world? How should we live? What is reality? Philosophy approaches such questions through argument, but also through vision and imagination. Philosophy concerns every aspect of our lives, practical as well as theoretical. Through its grounding in real social relations and human activities, it seeks to understand and address the whole spectrum of social, ethical, environmental and political issues of today. Through philosophy, we are able not only to understand life, but to shape it.
There is a strong sense of community among students and staff, and the ratio of staff to students is such that students can access their lecturers when needed. The small classes are always friendly and never intimidating, allowing staff to know their students on a first-name basis.
The programme is assessed in a variety of ways and will include several of the following type of assessment: essays of 1000 to 4000 words in length, document analyses, book reviews, short reports and reflective journals, timed tests, take home exams, field journals, posters, group and individual presentations, dissertations of 10,000 words, wikis, commentaries and film evaluations.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Lampeter Campus|
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||96 points||Grades are important; however, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. To assess student suitability for their chosen course we normally arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience.You may also be required to present a portfolio/examples of work.|
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9,000||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9,000||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
0300 500 5054
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0300 500 5054