University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Stimulate your curiosity about the Earth and the human societies that inhabit it. With first-class teaching, exciting fieldtrips and excellent facilities, our BSc (Hons) Geography course will help you map out an inspiring career.
KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
STUDENT SATISFACTION: 90% of our BSc (Hons) Geography students are satisfied with the overall quality of their course (National Student Survey 2019).
RANKINGS: Geography at Derby is joint fifth in the UK for careers after six months of graduating (Guardian University Guide 2020).
ACCREDITATIONS: Our course is one of only a few Geography degrees in the country to hold two accreditations. The Institution of Environmental Sciences and the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) have approved our course, reflecting its high quality and solid academic foundations.
FIELDTRIPS: We're located near the Peak District National Park, providing a rich resource for you to study and map landscapes and surface features - our students have also travelled to Crete and Morocco to gain a global perspective of geography. You'll also have the opportunity to study abroad in the USA or Canada; an experience that will help you to stand out in the graduate job market.
INCLUDED IN YOUR FEES: All-day trips and residential fieldtrips in prescribed and core modules, including two international trips, previous destinations have included Crete and Morocco. We also provide various equipment to support your fieldwork.
TAILORED TO YOU: Our extensive range of optional modules allows you to tailor your course to meet your career ambitions - you can choose to specialise in either the human, physical, environmental, or a mixture of them all.
FACILITIES: We have invested in up-to-date learning facilities to help you build the practical skills which are highly valued in the profession. They include a spatial data laboratory – which houses an exceptional collection of maps, drone technology to view landscape data, a geotechnical, sedimentology and specialist computing laboratories.
- EXPERT TEACHING: Our geography lecturers include active researchers, authors and consultants undertaking important projects worldwide. It means you’ll be kept in touch with the very latest theories and what’s new and next in the world of geography.
WHAT YOU'LL COVER:
- Your first year will introduce you to themes such as human geography, global environmental issues, mapping and physical geography. Optional modules in your second year will allow you to explore topics from sustainable energy resources through to cultural landscapes, while options in stage three give you the opportunity to take your knowledge of GIS to an advanced level or investigate the security of food across the world.
HOW YOU'RE ASSESSED:
- We use a diverse range of assessment methods, including essays, reports, field and laboratory notebooks, portfolios, posters, infographics oral presentations, vivas, and written exams (seen and unseen). You may be assessed individually or as part of a group.
- Our graduates are now enjoying success in diverse roles such as agronomy, environmental consulting, data analysis, rail planning, water quality analysis, teaching, GIS, transport officers, and conservation. The knowledge and skills you gain at Derby University are also sought after by employers in commerce, public services, research and industry.
This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
This course is available with an Industrial Placement Year.
- You can combine another subject with this course to study a Joint Honours degree.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||120 points||Your offer will be based on your predicted grades from your core A2s (full A levels), BTEC Diploma etc including at least a grade C in either Science or Social Science A Level (or equivalent qualification). We will accept up to 16 points towards the total from level 3 qualifications such as AS (where those AS levels are not taken on to A2 level), the Extended Project, or Music qualifications. We usually consider an A Level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria / offer.|
|A level||BBB||At least a grade C at A level in Science or Social Science (or equivalent qualification)|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||
D: 15 credits
M: 24 credits
P: 6 credits
|Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits with 45 at Level 3. Must include passes in compulsory L3 subjects|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test (SELT) at CEFR level B2 or above
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9,250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9,250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Course contact detailsVisit our course page