Develop and hone your writing skills, and explore the important relationships between film and theatre, in our BA Creative Writing and Film & Theatre course. Taught jointly by the Department of English Literature and the Department of Film, Theatre and Television, this multi-faceted course will:
- develop your creative writing in a small-group environment
- explore a variety of literary, dramatic and film texts
- provide practical and theoretical approaches to film and theatre.
- lectures concentrate on specific, practical issues such as how to construct a character or tackle a specific literary form
- seminars involve small group discussions, led by one of the teaching team, with short practical writing exercises
- workshops allow you to explore and develop your writing in small peer groups.
- examine critical approaches to film, theatre and television
- have the opportunity to develop your practical and technical skills
- discover how theatre, film and television have been affected by different social and historical contexts.
We will be updating this page with module information over the coming weeks.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Contextual offers for this programme are typically two grades beneath our standard entry requirement, e.g. BCC including A level English Literature or a related subject at grade B.
English language requirements
|We require a minimum score of 7.0 overall with at least 6.0 in each element of the test (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing).
|We require a minimum score of 100 overall with no less than 20 in Listening, Writing and Reading and 21 in Speaking.
|Cambridge English Advanced
|We require a grade A or a score of 185 overall with no element less than 169.
|Cambridge English Proficiency
|We require a grade C or a score of 185 overall with no element less than 169.
|We require a minimum score of 76 overall with at least 64 in each element of the test (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing).
|Institution's Own Test
|Test of English for Educational Purposes (TEEP). We require a minimum score of 7.0 overall with at least 6.0 in each element of the test (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing).
|Only ISE III and ISE IV are acceptable and we require a Pass in each element.
Full list of acceptable English Language Tests
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland