University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Talented and creative professionals are in great demand for backstage roles in theatres and across the live entertainment industry. Offering hands-on experience in a real working theatre, our exciting BA (Hons) Technical Theatre covers all the behind-the-scenes skills that go into staging exciting productions.
- 100% of students said that they were satisfied with the overall quality of this course according to the National Student Survey 2019.
- You will have your own professional theatre in which to hone your skills. The University owns and runs Derby Theatre as a major venue in the city centre, where you can observe and work with industry professionals.
- The course covers all aspects of technical theatre. You will get to grips with stage and production management, lighting, sound, projection, sets, props, wardrobe and theatre administration.
- You will join a production team and help deliver compelling shows and performances locally, nationally and maybe even internationally.
- You will have the opportunity to visit other venues such as theatres, theme parks and arenas to find out what happens behind the scenes as well as on stage.
- You will be taught, guided and mentored by experienced industry professionals including the full-time staff of Derby Theatre, visiting professional designers and the highly experienced programme team.
- Derby Theatre won the Excellence in Arts Education Award at the annual UK Theatre Awards, in recognition of its learning theatre vision which has transformed the venue and provides opportunities for young people to take part in high-quality arts, sports and cultural activities across the city. The award was also in specific recognition and celebration of This is Derby, a unique project delivered by Derby Theatre and other cultural and sports organisations in the city, including Derby County Community Trust, Cultural Campus: Derby's Cultural Education Partnership and the City's Sports Forum.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||112 points||Your offer will be based on your predicted grades from your core A2s (full A levels), BTEC Diploma etc. We will accept up to 16 points towards the total from level 3 qualifications such as AS (where those AS levels are not taken on to A2 level), the Extended Project, or Music qualifications. We usually consider an A Level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria / offer.|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DMM|
|Access to HE Diploma||D: 15 credits M: 24 credits P: 6 credits||Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits with 45 at Level 3|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
Additional entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Derby