University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
This course gives a detailed understanding of the roles of biomechanics, physiology and psychology in sport performance. If you're interested in the science behind sport and exercise, this is the degree for you. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- STUDENT SATISFACTION: 90% of our BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science students are satisfied with the overall quality of the course, and 90% are satisfied with the quality of the teaching (National Student Survey 2020).
- PROFESSIONAL CREDIBILITY: Our course is endorsed by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) so you can be confident that the the training, curriculum and resources available to our students is in line with professional standards.
- FLEXIBLE LEARNING: Tailor your studies to your career plans, with specialist optional modules in areas such as strength and conditioning, injury rehabilitation, nutrition, applied biomechanics and performance analysis.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Access state-of-the-art equipment such as our High Performance Resistance Training Facility, VICON 3D motion capture system and breath by breath analysis system. You’ll also be well catered for if you want to take part in recreational sport – whether as a first timer or as an elite performer. We have a 44-station fitness facility, equipped with the latest Technogym and Wellness system technology.
- PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: Build vital career skills through work placements; our students have enjoyed placements with organisations such as Derby County FC, Leicester City FC, hospitals and leisure centres. We also have an excellent Internship Programme - you could apply for an internship supporting athletes at local sports clubs – an experience which will help you build your professional networks and help you to stand out in a competitive job market.
- ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: As part of the course, you’ll have the chance to gain additional sport and exercise science professional qualifications which are recognised and highly valued by employers. These include National Governing Body coaching awards and the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) Higher Professional Diploma. All will develop your confidence and leadership skills.
- RESEARCH ACTIVE STAFF: Teaching from accredited professional who are involved in research, high-performance sport and applied sport science consultancy. They are also members of leading professional bodies such as BASES, NCSA, CIMSPA and the UK Strength and Conditioning Association.
- TEAM DERBY: If you enjoy a challenge and would like to make the most of your own sporting passion and prowess, you could become involved with Team Derby which is the focal point for the University’s sporting community. It encompasses all aspects of sport, including courses, numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities.
- You’ll learn through lectures, practicals, and seminars and will be assessed through written coursework, verbal presentations, and examination-style assessments to create a well-balanced assessment portfolio.
- In your second and third year you’ll choose from specialised areas in subjects such as nutrition, performance analysis and strength and conditioning. You’ll also have the chance to undertake your own independent research into a theme of your choice, culminating in a major conference where you will showcase your findings.
- Our recent sport and exercise science graduates now enjoy roles as cardiac physiologist assistants, sports coaches, health advisors, physiotherapy assistants and performance analysts. Some have secured employment on the basis of their success on work placements and internships.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is also available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||128 points||We encourage you to outline all your qualifications and achievements in your application to provide us a full picture. Your offer will typically be based on your predicted and/or achieved grades from full level 3 qualifications or above e.g. A levels, BTEC Ext Diploma, Access to HE, etc. Any subject specifics are outlined below in the Further Information section, and these specifics are applicable across all equivalent qualifications. A strong application/performance and appropriate experience will be taken into account where typical criteria is not met.|
|A level||ABB||At least a grade C at A level in Biology or PE (or equivalent qualification)|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||D: 15 credits M: 24 credits P: 6 credits||with 60 credits with 45 at Level 3. Must include passes in compulsory L3 subjects|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||GCSE Maths and English Grade 4/C(or above) or equivalent qualification|
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|