Boost your employability with a year on placement as part of your degree. Our strong industry links help you secure vital experience in engineering roles with SMEs, national and international firms. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- RANKINGS: Our BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering course is ranked 4th in the UK for student satisfaction with teaching and has also ranked in the Top 20 for student satisfaction with the course (The Guardian University Guide 2022). In the National Student Survey 2021, 91% of students stated they were satisfied with the teaching on the course and 100% of students agreed that staff are good at explaining things.
- ACCREDITATION: BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering is accredited by the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation and the Institute of Highway Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
- FACILITIES: You'll study in our fantastic facilities at Markeaton Street. Our STEM centre houses a range of equipment which you'll use throughout your studies, including a 10m flume, a state-of-the-art ground penetrating radar and a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) with survey and thermal imaging capabilities.
- LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES: You'll learn through a mixture of lectures, seminars, tutorials, on and off-site laboratory and site work, and visits to companies. You'll work on real life projects and case studies, so you'll be able to put your theory into practice and develop the knowledge and skills employers are looking for.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: We offer a year industrial placement which will take place between the second and final year of your degree and there are a large number of SMEs, large, national and international companies who are looking for placement students each year. There is a range of support available for students who are looking to enhance their employability whilst studying including internships, placements and graduate roles.
- EXPERT TEACHING: You'll be taught by experienced civil engineering practitioners who are highly skilled in this field, ensuring you are taught to a high professional standard.
- This course will enhance your skills in advanced areas of civil engineering theory, particularly structures and infrastructure design. You'll develop a thorough understanding of the process of civil engineering technical design and management. You'll also be introduced to key design skills in structures, fluids, geology, soil mechanics, surveying and materials.
- You'll be assessed through workshop laboratories, surveying fieldwork, group work and individual assignments. Some traditional exams may be involved for design tests.
- When you graduate, you'll have lots of career opportunities in civil engineering in fields such as design, maintenance, asset management and construction. You could work in private companies which specialise in contracting or consulting, for local authorities, water companies, Network Rail or the Highways Agency, for example.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This course has limited vacancies, and is no longer accepting applications from some students. See the list below for where you normally live, to check if you’re eligible to apply.
Republic of Ireland
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test (SELT) at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|