Birkbeck’s Law LLB teaches you the foundational areas of law required by the legal profession and provides you with the key skills and knowledge to move towards successfully qualifying as a lawyer. You will gain highly transferable legal skills that are also valuable in other careers beyond the legal sector. On our LLB Law, you will develop a sound knowledge and understanding of law across a range of foundational and specialist subjects. You will also learn to identify the political, economic, commercial, social and cultural factors that inform how we understand the law and the problems, tensions and contradictions within certain legal theories and doctrines. Upon graduating, you will be ready to:
- prepare for the Solicitors’ Qualifying Exam (SQE)
- apply for a place on the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC), or
- pursue a range of other careers.
- Birkbeck is a leading international centre for world-class legal teaching, research and scholarship. You will be taught by field-leading academic staff, alongside experienced solicitors, barristers and judges from across the legal sector.
- Career development and skills enhancement are a key part of studying this course. You will have access to a huge range of careers support including Birkbeck's Careers Service, Birkbeck Talent and Birkbeck Futures. This comprehensive support links our students and recent graduates with top UK employers and offers you help with job applications, interviews and career planning.
- As a Birkbeck law student, you will be able to take part in our Legal Practice Conversation series. In these workshops, lawyers and Birkbeck graduates discuss their work and offer advice and inspiration to students looking to pursue a law career. Recent speakers have discussed the Pfizer/AstraZeneca takeover bid, international human rights, sports law, and litigation brought on behalf of veterans of the 1950s nuclear testing programme on Christmas Island.
- The LLB is accredited by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and students awarded the degree will be entitled to receive a Certificate of Completion of the Academic Stage of Legal Education for solicitors. It is also recognised by the Bar Standards Board as a qualifying law degree for the purposes of completing the Academic Stage of Training for the Bar. The degree is accredited as LLB Law.
- putting your learning into practice and gaining valuable experience and hands-on skills through work with our various law clinics
- sharpening up your advocacy skills with our award-winning Mooting team and networking with members of our Law Society
- having the opportunity to attend a bespoke commercial awareness course
- networking with real-world legal professionals through our Mentoring Pathways Scheme, Legal Practice Conversations, Legal Professionals Insight Evening and Careers Fair.
- human resources
- creative entrepreneurship.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Assessment methods include essays, problem questions, seen/unseen examinations, open/closed book examinations, group projects, dissertations and oral presentations.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Bar Standards Board
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. We also accept other English language tests.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. FOUNDATION YEAR DEGREES We offer an LLB Law with Foundation Year degree which provides a law degree with an extra year of supported study. This is an ideal route if you are returning to study after being out of education for a while, or if you did not achieve the grades you needed for the LLB. Once you successfully complete the Foundation Year, you will automatically advance onto the main degree. ALTERNATIVE ENTRY ROUTES Successful completion of the Certificate of Higher Education in Legal Studies with a minimum mark of 50% guarantees entry to the LLB with optional credit for a first-year module.
Additional entry requirements
Institutions Own Test (IOT)
You will need to complete a written exercise in reasoning and analysis and attend an admissions event.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course