Whether you’d like to coach elite/amateur athletes or promote the benefits of sport and exercise to the wider community, our course will put you ahead of the game. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- IN-DEPTH KNOWLEDGE: The course will build your expertise in sport coaching and development so that you can make a difference to individuals and society alike. You’ll gain an in-depth understanding of the technical, physical and psychological development of elite and amateur athletes as well as strategies to increase participation in sport and use it as a tool for community wellbeing.
- PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: Throughout the course, there will be plenty of opportunities to apply your knowledge. You’ll gain insights into a range of applied settings from group coaching to individual performance development. Some of our students secure voluntary and paid coaching positions with sports clubs during their studies. Others have arranged summer work placements coaching in the USA.
- ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Add substance to your CV by studying for additional sport coaching cadges and other awards given by national governing bodies.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: You'll have access to our VICON 3D motion capture analysis system, and specialist equipment for sports performance analysis and physiological testing.
- WORK WITH EXPERTS: Our teaching team has a wealth of professional experience in sports coaching and development together with extensive contacts across the industry. Alongside teaching, our staff work as applied practitioners with a range of sports professionals and organisations as consultants and advisers.
- You'll gain in-depth knowledge of the coaching and sport development industry from entry level sport, to working with elite performers. You’ll also learn the principles and practices of training and how to use sport within communities and manage projects aimed at increasing physical activity and sport participation. Understanding the theory behind coaching and performance and applying this to real-world situations will enable you to graduate as a confident and independent development coach.
- Assessments will include a combination of theoretical and practical assignments, such as individual written reports, individual and group presentations, and individual and group practical coaching assessments. Although there are some exams, a large proportion of the assessment includes of presentations and written assignment.
- This course gives you an advantage in an exciting and developing job market. On graduating, you’ll be ideally placed to embark on careers in areas such as talent identification, sport coaching in the UK and abroad, sport development, sport management and health promotion. At a time when sport participation has become part of new initiatives such as GP exercise referral programmes, the career scope is broadening further still. Our course even includes a module on small business planning – including advice on writing funding bids, marketing and strategic planning – if you’re interested in setting up a sport-related venture of your own. If you would like to take your knowledge of sport to the next level, this degree also acts as a gateway to postgraduate study.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is also available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding