Overview Studying English Literature and Journalism as a joint honours degree lets you explore literature in a variety of contexts alongside researching and communicating current affairs. You’ll cultivate analytical skills through the study of a range of texts and apply that same mindset to the construction and delivery of news stories. You will explore a range of cutting-edge thinking in spheres as diverse as Shakespeare in performance, environmental writing and postcolonial literature. Combined with the understanding you will gain of journalism in today’s society, students will develop wide-ranging communication skills. The course combines theoretical and practical elements through lectures, seminars, projects, and placements. Students graduate with academic and hands-on experience valued by employers in a range of different industries. Key features
- Study diverse literature emanating from the sixteenth through to the twenty-first centuries – and encompassing both ‘canonical’ and ‘marginal’ texts
- A long, established course that has continually evolved with an excellent staff team of highly-skilled and enthusiastic lecturers who are experienced teachers and published researchers
- Strong emphasis on the development of advanced literacy and communication skills
- Students are taught by experienced, trained and practising journalists and also benefit from an exciting programme of guest lecturers from within the industry
- Excellent work placement opportunities, developed in collaboration with local organisations, including the BBC. Opportunities to play an active role in local and regional literature festivals and related events
- The University of Worcester has been ranked in the top 5 in the UK for Quality Education in the Times Higher Education’s University Impact Rankings every year since its inception in 2019. The University has also been ranked in the top 5 in the UK for Gender Equality in all years of the rankings and currently holds the number one spot (2023).
- Worcester rose to become the number one English university (excluding specialist institutions) for sustained employment, further study, or both, three and five years after graduation in the 2022 Government-published Longitudinal Educational Outcomes survey, having been in the top 10 in 2020 and 2021. 96% of our graduates are in work or further study 15 months after graduating (Graduate Outcomes Survey 2022).
- Worcester is a leader in sustainability and has been awarded First Class Honours in the People and Planet Green League each and every year since 2009. In 2019, the University was named Sustainability Institution of the Year in the Green Gown Awards and was Highly Commended in the global awards at the UN.
For a breakdown of the modules you'll study each year visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'
For detailed information about assessment, feedback, teaching and contact time visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The University of Worcester accepts all qualifications within the Tariff, and normally looks for the equivalent of 3 A levels. More information can be found at http://www.worcester.ac.uk/journey/entry-requirements.html
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course