The LLB Law and Business is a specialist course that allows you to study towards a career in legal practice and business. Alongside the main law curriculum, including the seven foundations of legal knowledge essential for professional qualification, you will also gain a foundation in management and business concepts, including:
- people management.
- Birkbeck is a leading international centre for world-class legal teaching, research and scholarship. You will be taught by field-leading academic staff, alongside experienced solicitors, barristers and judges from across the legal sector.
- Career development and skills enhancement are a key part of studying this course. You will have access to a huge range of careers support including Birkbeck's Careers Service, Birkbeck Talent and Birkbeck Futures. This comprehensive support links our students and recent graduates with top UK employers and offers you help with job applications, interviews and career planning.
- As a Birkbeck law student, you will be able to take part in our Legal Practice Conversation series. In these workshops, lawyers and Birkbeck graduates discuss their work and offer advice and inspiration to students looking to pursue a law career. Recent speakers have discussed the Pfizer/AstraZeneca takeover bid, international human rights, sports law, and litigation brought on behalf of veterans of the 1950s nuclear testing programme on Christmas Island.
- paralegal and legal assistant
- policy researcher
- corporate roles in multiple sectors.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Depending on the module, assessment for this course is through independent research essays, problem scenario essays, seen and unseen exams, workbooks, group work, presentations, reflective journals and creative and critical thinking exercises.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. We also accept other English language tests.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. FOUNDATION YEAR DEGREES We offer an LLB Law with Foundation Year degree which provides a law degree with an extra year of supported study. This is an ideal route if you are returning to study after being out of education for a while, or if you did not achieve the grades you needed for the LLB. Once you successfully complete the Foundation Year, you will automatically advance onto the main degree. ALTERNATIVE ENTRY ROUTES Successful completion of the Certificate of Higher Education in Legal Studies with a minimum mark of 50% guarantees entry to the LLB with optional credit for a first-year module.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding