Looking for a career where you can channel your interests to help children discover the natural world? You can nurture a lifelong love of the environment as a Primary School teacher with a specialism in Environmental and Experiential Learning. Our respected PGCE course fully supports you in your journey from student teacher to fully-fledged professional. And, because the programme has QTS built-in, you can apply for a position as a teacher the minute you graduate. COURSE OVERVIEW Grounded in the learning of our acclaimed PGCE General Primary, this Environmental and Experiential learning pathway allows you to hone your pedagogy to lead and manage lessons in a primary school setting. This unique course pathway gives you the opportunity to develop a lifelong love of the natural world in the children you teach. You’ll learn through a blend of theory and hands-on experience, working within the National Curriculum framework. You'll explore the concepts and key themes of Physical Education and Primary General, confidently devising and delivering engaging lessons to children aged 5-11 years old. Over half the course will be spent working with children on assessed placement, with school-based enrichment activities alongside your university-based study. You'll take three placements across a variety of schools and settings, building a wealth of experience to help advance your future career. ON THIS COURSE YOU WILL...
- Develop your personal interest in environmental issues and the natural world through a specialist pathway.
- Benefit from high-quality support from our academics and staff on a programme designed around you.
- Learn from an experienced, highly qualified programme team, working at the forefront of the academic field.
- Enjoy the intimate feel of our course delivery, with small class sizes and your own personal tutor.
- Utilise cutting edge research on a newly revalidated and up-to-date course.
- High-Quality Teaching and Learning
- Raising the Achievement of Children.
- PGCE7003 Building Professional Understanding
- PGCE7004 Enhancing Professional Practice
- PGPC9130 Being a Teacher
- PGPC9140 Learning Teaching and Subject Knowledge
- PGPC1960 Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy
- PGPC9070 Cumbria Teacher of Reading
- PGPC9160 Beginning Professional Practice (Placement Module)
- PGPC9170 Developing Professional Practice (Placement Module)
- PGPC9180 Extending Professional Practice (Placement Module)
You are supported to develop your classroom practice in response to your learning in these modules through a formative assessment activity that culminates in summative assessments which require you to interweave theory, research and practice. The robust connections between these masters level modules and your classroom practice highlights the importance that the tutor team place on your ability to make powerful positive impacts on children’s learning. Our teaching is also proactive in the inclusion of issues around equality and diversity. You will undertake three placements spanning the programme. This progression is embedded in the placement titles: Beginning, Developing and Extending. Robust assessment frameworks are used to provide detailed feedback and support allowing personalised learning and ensuring that you are able to achieve the highest possible outcomes. Extensive support mechanisms are in place through the personal tutor system (which is highly regarded by OFSTED) and also through school-based mentoring. These placements allow you to demonstrate that you have met the Teachers’ Standards and thus achieve QTS.
Qualified teacher status (QTS)
To work as a teacher at a state school in England or Wales, you will need to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS). This is offered on this course for the following level:
Normally a first degree, or equivalent with a minimum of 2:2 honours. Three GCSEs at minimum grade C/4 or above to include English language, mathematics and science (including biology, chemistry or physics). A satisfactory academic (university) reference AND a satisfactory professional reference if more than three years since academic study All candidates must demonstrate professional suitability through interview and must obtain medical and enhanced DBS clearance according to established university procedures.
Fees and funding