Good journalism is essential to a functioning society. This course is designed to give you the essential skills and knowledge needed to work in the diverse and fast-moving environment that is modern journalism and media. Our core units will give you a solid foundation in the principles and practice of good journalism, and you’ll learn how to cover stories for print, web, TV, radio and how to adapt a story from one medium to another. You'll then have the opportunity to develop a specialism and graduate with a bracketed degree title. Depending on your specialism, you could graduate with: MA Multimedia Journalism (Data) MA Multimedia Journalism (Magazine & Longform) MA Multimedia Journalism (International) MA Multimedia Journalism (Broadcast) You’ll be taught by accomplished media professionals with backgrounds and connections in BBC TV and radio, local, regional and national newspapers and online news, so you can be sure you’re learning at the forefront of industry thinking and practice. And you’ll have the chance to develop your own industry connections through our placement opportunities, introducing you to the real working environment and enhancing your employability. Designed to meet the requirements of media employers in the UK and beyond, you’ll amass a full and varied portfolio to present to potential employers on graduation; equipped to take on a leading role in a rapidly evolving global industry, with the confidence and knowledge to explore the potential of multi-platform news and features publishing. Features and Benefits
- Staff with industry experience - Learn from current and former reporters, editors and broadcasters who bring their experience into the classroom, extensive media experience and strong, professional contacts.
- Employability focussed - This course will prepare you to take a leading role in a rapidly evolving global media industry.
- Varied course content - Learn how to cover any story for print, web and broadcast and how to adapt a story from one medium to another. You’ll also explore the global potential of multi-platform news publishing.
- A flexible degree - Develop the knowledge and practical skills needed to build a career in the industry with our practice-based course, even if you have no prior experience of journalism.
- Incredible facilities - Learn in a vibrant and innovative environment and benefit from a range of high-spec facilities, including our in-house TV and radio studios and dedicated edit suites in the new Grosvenor East Building.
- Future proofing - A strong emphasis on digital media with online course materials and research information, encouraging you to use multimedia skills while learning.
- Real world experience - Work placements will introduce you to the real working environment and enable you to establish valuable contacts for your future career.
- Develop a portfolio - This course has a focus on work output. You will amass a full and varied portfolio, including articles for the Department’s staff and student-led news website The Northern Quota, to present to potential employers.
- Study in Manchester - one of the UK’s most exciting digital cities - packed with creative companies and home to large scale news outlets at MediaCityUK, such as BBC and ITV.
You will normally have a lower second class UK honours degree (or international equivalent) in any discipline. Applicants whose first language is not English (and whose first degree was not taught in English) are required to produce evidence of English Language proficiency. Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 7.0 with no less than 6.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course