University Centre Rotherham has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
About this Course The Higher National Certificate (HNC) is delivered on a full-time basis over one year. There are mandatory core units and optional units to help develop specialist skills and knowledge. The course provides you with a wealth of transferrable experience and employability skills either to take you straight into industry or onto further study. You will also build confidence both academically and practically within real animal industry scenarios. You will have access to work with a large and varied animal collection. Including large and small exotic mammals, companion mammals, aquatics, amphibians, reptiles, invertebrates, farm livestock, horses and avian species. As part of the course, there will be an opportunity to take part in a two-week residential conservation programme in South Africa. Our lecturing staff have a wide range of expertise, having worked in a variety of animal-related industries and have many years of experience. Former students have stated that they felt ready for the next step of their career and were fully supported to achieve to the best of their ability. Modules Covered:
- Health and Welfare
- Animal Behaviour
- Managing a Research Project
- Animal Husbandry
- Managing Animal Collections
- Animal Nursing
- Animal Nutrition
- Business Environment
- Upon successful completion of the HNC, students can progress to the Higher National Diploma (HND) for a second year of study to gain a full Level 5 Diploma qualification. Following the HND, students could study at higher levels in subjects such as Veterinary Nursing, Zoology, Marine Biology, Animal Behaviour and more.
- Employment within the industry, such as Zoo-keeping, Veterinary Sciences, Education, Animal Welfare, Visitor's Centre Management, Animal Charities, Kennel Manager, self-employment or into animal welfare and rescue.
- Four GCSE's grade A-C including English Literature, English Language, Maths and Science
- A relevant Level 3 qualification, for example;
- Level 3 Animal Management
- Three Science or Animal based A- Levels
- Access to HE certificate in a relevant discipline (Science of animal management)
Health and Welfare Animal Behaviour Managing a Research Project Animal Husbandry Managing Animal Collections Animal Nursing Animal Nutrition Business Environment
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||University Centre Rotherham (UCR)|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
All applicants who are non-native English speakers, or who have not studied the final two years of school in English, must have an IELTS score of Level 5.5 or above with a minimum of 5.0 for individual sections.
|UCAS Tariff||48 points||Any relevant level 3 qualification|
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6900||Year 1|