Passionate about helping children to be the very best they can be? Learn to engage their minds, teach and trigger their imagination becoming a Primary School teacher. Our well respected PGCE General Primary with QTS supports you through your journey from student to newly-qualified teacher. And, because our course has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built-in, you can apply for a position as a Primary School teacher the minute you graduate. COURSE OVERVIEW Ready to inspire and change the lives of Primary aged children with the learning of our acclaimed PGCE General Primary? This programme allows you to hone your skills and experience to teach engaging lessons in a primary school setting. This unique course pathway gives you the opportunity to raise children's achievements and cultivate a lifelong love of learning. You’ll learn through a blend of theory and hands-on experience, working within the National Curriculum framework. You'll explore the concepts and key themes of Primary General, confidently devising and delivering engaging lessons to children aged 5-11 years old. Over half the course will be spent working with children on assessed placement, with school-based enrichment activities alongside your university-based study. You'll take three placements across a variety of schools and settings, building a wealth of experience to help advance your future career. ON THIS COURSE YOU WILL...
- Develop your passion for inspiring curiosity in children into a fulfilling career.
- Benefit from high-quality support from our academics and staff on a programme designed around you.
- Learn from an experienced, highly qualified programme team, working at the forefront of the academic field.
- Enjoy the intimate feel of our course delivery, with small class sizes and your own personal tutor.
- Utilise cutting edge research on a newly revalidated and up-to-date course.
- High-Quality Teaching and Learning.
- Raising the Achievement of Children.
- PGCE7003 Building Professional Understanding
- PGCE7004 Enhancing Professional Practice
- PGPC9140 Learning, Teaching and Subject Pedagogy
- PGPC9130 Being a Teacher
- PGPC9150 Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy Enrichment
- PGPC9070 Cumbria Teacher of Reading
- PGPC9160 Beginning Professional Practice
- PGPC9170 Developing Professional Practice
- PGPC9180 Extending Professional Practice
The PGCE is assessed through a combination of placement assessment alongside formative and summative assessments. You will complete two summative assignments over the duration of the course. Your summative assessments will be based on topics of your choosing that will be set within a provided context. This will allow you to develop your understanding of teaching and learning and the professional application of your understanding in an area that is personally relevant to you. Formative activities are built into the assessment process. As you will be selecting a topic for each of your assessments, you will have the opportunity to share your intentions and to receive confirmation about the appropriateness of your topic before you progress further. You will also have a formative assessment on your first assignment where you will receive formative feedback but no grade. This will help you to develop your work prior to submission. When you are on placement, you will be assessed against the Teachers’ Standards. You can expect to be involved in this process with your mentor, who will help you to set developmental targets on a weekly basis during your placements. This will help you to build your ability to self-assess and be an active agent in your professional development.
Normally a first degree, or its equivalent with a minimum of 2:2 honours. Three GCSEs at minimum grade C/4 or above to include English language, mathematics and science (including biology, chemistry or physics). All successful applicants must have met this requirement by 31 July 2019. Successful completion of the professional skills test in literacy and numeracy before the start of the course. A satisfactory academic (university) reference AND a satisfactory professional reference if more than three years since academic study. The ability to discriminate key ideas and express arguments. All candidates must demonstrate professional suitability through interview and must obtain medical and enhanced DBS clearance according to established university procedures.
Fees and funding