Training today's athletes to reach their full potential takes not only inspired coaching but also sophisticated performance analysis techniques. Designed in collaboration with industry partners, this course provides invaluable knowledge and applied experience. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- RANKINGS: In the latest National Student Survey 2022, 91% of students on this course agreed that staff are good at explaining things.
- ADVANCED SCIENTIFIC TECHNOLOGY: You’ll learn cutting-edge techniques, using market-leading performance analysis software packages such as Hudl Sportscode, iCODA, Hudl Replay, VICON 3 and Quintic. To support these you’ll also use our HD cameras, EVS tower system and have access to our suite of MacBook Pros and iPads.
- PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: Take advantage of internship opportunities with professional clubs, as well as grass-roots sports organisations. This experience will equip you with the professional experience that employers demand from today's graduates.
- FLEXIBLE LEARNING: Tailor your studies to your career plans, with specialist optional modules in areas such as athlete testing and assessment, applied sport psychology and advanced field-based conditioning.
- SCIENTIFIC UNDERSTANDING: Boost your knowledge of biological disciplines such as physiology, psychology and biomechanics and how to apply this in practice.
- EXPERT TEACHING: Our staff include accredited professionals who will provide you with high quality teaching and support. They are actively involved in research, high-performance sport and applied sport science consultancy. They are also members of leading professional bodies.
- TEAM DERBY: If you enjoy a challenge and would like to make the most of your own sporting passion and prowess, you could become involved with Team Derby which is the focal point for the University’s sporting community. It encompasses all aspects of sport, including courses, numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities.
- Year one introduces you to the science behind physical performance, specifically anatomy for sport and exercise, principles of sport biomechanics and performance analysis, and the principles of sport and exercise physiology. Combining your understanding of the human body with coaching principles you will go on to learn vital skills and techniques to make decisions on how best to improve individual performance.
- You will be assessed in a variety of ways, including coursework, practicals, exams, and presentations. Assessments will be individual and group based, with a strong emphasis on applied work.
- As a Derby graduate, you will gain the knowledge and skills to succeed in areas such as elite sport, performance analysis, talent identification and sport coaching in the UK and abroad. You could also consider postgraduate study to advance your knowledge.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is also available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT) at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|