University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Training today's athletes to reach their full potential takes not only inspired coaching but also sophisticated performance analysis techniques. Designed in collaboration with industry partners, this course provides invaluable knowledge and applied experience. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- ADVANCED SCIENTIFIC TECHNOLOGY: You’ll learn cutting-edge techniques, using market-leading performance analysis software packages such as Sports Code, iCODA, Hudl, Dartfish and Quintic. To support these you’ll also use our HD cameras, EVS tower system and have access to our suite of MacBook Pros and iPads.
- PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: Take advantage of internship opportunities with professional clubs such as Derby County FC and Leicester Tigers Rugby Club, as well as grass-roots sports organisations. This experience will equip you with the professional experience that employers demand from today's graduates.
- FLEXIBLE LEARNING: Tailor your studies to your career plans, with specialist optional modules in areas such as athlete testing and assessment, applied sport psychology and advanced field based conditioning.
- SCIENTIFIC UNDERSTANDING: Boost your knowledge of biological disciplines such as physiology, psychology and biomechanics and how to apply this in practice.
- EXPERT TEACHING: Our staff include accredited professionals who will provide you with high quality teaching and support. They are actively involved in research, high-performance sport and applied sport science consultancy. They are also members of leading professional bodies.
- TEAM DERBY: If you enjoy a challenge and would like to make the most of your own sporting passion and prowess, you could become involved with Team Derby which is the focal point for the University’s sporting community. It encompasses all aspects of sport, including courses, numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities.
- Year one introduces you to the science behind physical performance, specifically anatomy for sport and exercise, principles of sport biomechanics and performance analysis, and the principles of sport and exercise physiology. Combining your understanding of the human body with coaching principles you will go on to learn vital skills and techniques to make decisions on how best to improve individual performance.
- You will be assessed in a variety of ways, including coursework, practicals, exams, and presentations. Assessments will be individual and group based, with a strong emphasis on applied work.
- As a Derby graduate, you will gain the knowledge and skills to succeed in areas such as elite sport, performance analysis, talent identification and sport coaching in the UK and abroad. You could also consider postgraduate study to advance your knowledge.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is also available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||128 points||We encourage you to outline all your qualifications and achievements in your application to provide us a full picture. Your offer will typically be based on your predicted and/or achieved grades from full level 3 qualifications or above e.g. A levels, BTEC Ext Diploma, Access to HE, etc. Any subject specifics are outlined below in the Further Information section, and these specifics are applicable across all equivalent qualifications. A strong application/performance and appropriate experience will be taken into account where typical criteria is not met.|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||D: 15 credits M: 24 credits P: 6 credits||Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits with 45 at Level 3|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||GCSE Maths and English Grade 4/C(or above) or equivalent qualification|
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT) at CEFR level B2 or above
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|