University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Place yourself at the forefront of medical research advances. Your knowledge of human disease, diagnosis and treatment will equip you for roles in the NHS, health charities and the biomedical sector. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- ACCREDITATION: The course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science. This degree will fast-track your journey towards registration as a biomedical scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council.
- IN-DEPTH KNOWLEDGE: This course focuses on the latest advances in medical research aimed at preventing ill-health and prolonging life. We will provide you with a firm grounding in biomedical science, human anatomy and physiology, the chemistry of life, molecular biology, and human diseases, helping you to understand the basis of human disease, diagnosis and treatment.
- BROAD UNDERSTANDING: As well as exploring human health and the diseases that affect the normal processes in the human body, including their diagnosis. You'll gain the skills and knowledge to understand the operation of human organisms through subjects like clinical chemistry, immunology, microbiology, histology, clinical genetics, pathology and cancer biology.
- RESEARCH EXPERIENCE: There's a strong focus on laboratory research and you will gain first-hand experience of this from year one. You will have access to a student research laboratory and regularly get the chance to conduct scientific investigations. In your final year, you will have the opportunity to demonstrate the research skills you have amassed, with an independent study into an area of your choice.
- FACILITIES: Develop vital scientific skills in our newly-upgraded learning facilities. They include high-specification laboratories with modern instrumentation and specialist containment facilities for the growth and manipulation of bacteria and viruses, as well as the sequencing and characterisation of DNA. You'll use a range of analytical and biomedical equipment such as Scanning Electron Microscope, Gas Chromatography and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR)
- EXPERT TEACHING: All of our Biomedical Science teaching team are active human health researchers as well as experienced teachers, so your studies will be informed by the latest developments and innovative thinking.
- As the course progresses, we place greater emphasis on relating the knowledge you have gained to scientific research. You will gain first-hand experience of laboratory research on the course, conducting and reporting on substantial scientific investigations. You'll be taught through a mixture of lectures, tutorials, workshops, seminars and laboratory practical experience.
- You’re assessed using a range of written assignments, including laboratory reports on experiments, essays, case studies, independent research, as well as computer-based assessments, presentations and practical assessments and seminar presentations.
- As one of our graduates, you’ll be equipped with skills which put you at the forefront of advances in medical science. You’ll be well prepared for careers in medical research, health charities, medical and biotechnology industries and the government health sector. Your knowledge will also be invaluable in areas such as analytical consultancy, biological sales and scientific writing. This course is an excellent foundation if you want to progress to postgraduate degrees in subjects such as medicine and dentistry.
- This course is also available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
If English is not your first language, you will need to hold IELTS 6.0 or above.
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test (SELT) at CEFR level B2 or above
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Derby