There is no doubt that sport is big business. Just think of the global appetite for the Olympics or our own Premier League, the multi-million pound sponsorship deals, the unprecedented sums generated by broadcasting rights, and the way sport can generate economic growth in our communities. Our course is your entrance ticket to this exciting world. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- MANAGEMENT SKILLS: Develop strong strategic, leadership and enterprise skills to help you excel in management roles within professional sports organisations.
- WORK READY: Gain in-depth knowledge of sport marketing, media and PR, finance, business development, commercial hospitality, sponsorship, talent management and event management - a fantastic skill set to enter one of the world's most lucrative sectors.
- GUARANTEED PLACEMENTS: At every level of study, there is the chance for you to work within a professional environment. You’ll also get involved in delivering sports events nationwide - our students have assisted in the organisation of Championship and FA Cup football matches, T20 cricket matches, National Badminton League matches and the Derby Half Marathon.
- LEARN FROM THE BEST: Drawing on our network of contacts, we offer you the chance to learn from leading industry professionals from around the world – with UK-based guest lectures and masterclasses delivered online from overseas.
- PRESENT TO INDUSTRY LEADERS: Take part in real-life research and consultancy projects on behalf of sports clubs, where you will deliver your findings directly to senior managers.
- TEAM DERBY: If you enjoy a challenge and would like to make the most of your own sporting passion and prowess, you could become involved with Team Derby which is the focal point for the University’s sporting community. It encompasses all aspects of sport, including courses, numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities.
- You will be assessed using a range of methods, including coursework, exams, group work, online discussions, presentations, and case studies. Regular feedback is provided to support assessments and develop a greater understanding of what you need to work in the sports industry.
- As one of our graduates, you can progress to a wide range of roles within professional sports clubs – such as marketing executive, facility manager, social media manager, commercial sponsorship manager or sport event manager. You could also seek a business management career in broader fields including the events industry with concerts and festivals. In addition, there is the potential to progress to postgraduate study or teacher training with a focus on sport or business.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is also available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|