University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
This course will develop your understanding of the process of civil engineering technical design and management. You'll be introduced to key skills in structures, fluids, geology, soil mechanics, surveying and materials. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- RANKINGS: 100% of students said that they were satisfied with the overall quality of BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering course, according to the National Student Survey, 2020.
- ACCREDITATION: This course is accredited by leading professional institutions on behalf of the Engineering Council, which means you can fully meet the academic requirement to register as an Incorporated Engineer.
- FACILITIES: You'll study in our fantastic facilities at Markeaton Street. Our STEM centre houses a range of equipment which you'll use throughout your studies, including a 10m flume, a state-of-the-art ground penetrating radar and a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) with survey and thermal imaging capabilities.
- LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES: Through the mix of lectures, real-life projects and site visits, you’ll develop the knowledge and skills that employers are looking for in areas such as structures, fluids, geology, soil mechanics, surveying and materials. You'll also put theory into practice via real-world projects, case studies, site visits and field trips, building the skills employers value most and gaining the academic base for Incorporated Engineer status.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: We offer a year industrial placement which will take place between the second and final year of your degree. The placement year will help you to develop the essential skills required in the workplace and will help boost your CV. There is a range of support available for students who are looking to enhance their employability whilst studying including internships, placements and graduate roles.
- EXPERT TEACHING: You'll be taught by experienced civil engineering practitioners who are highly skilled in this field, ensuring you are taught to a high professional standard.
- You will be assessed through workshop laboratories, surveying field work, group work and individual assignments. Some traditional exams may be involved for design tests.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|