Overview Our sport development and coaching course blends both applied practical skills and knowledge of coaching, with the vital skills and functions of resource management and development, giving you a broad skill range which is attractive to potential employees in a variety of sport sectors. At Worcester, our innovative combination of sports development and coaching, provides you with a diverse array of opportunities and experience needed to drive high quality sport development and coaching services. This multi-disciplinary approach will also equip you with operational, strategic and project management expertise that will enable you to take a dynamic approach to leading innovation and change within the sector. During your first year (level 4) you will study fundamental modules common across PE, coaching and development. This provides the opportunity and flexibility for you to gain more information and learn about your degree subject, with the ability to change across one of the related degrees at the end of the first year. Alongside your degree, you will have opportunities to access a range of Coach Education courses, whilst being able to build your coaching and development experience through placements and employment opportunities within the University and wider sporting community. Key features
- First year modules common across PE, Coaching, Development pathways offering flexibility on completion of level 4
- Work-based learning, problem based teaching and practical activities which mean theoretical concepts are frequently applied to practical working environments
- Opportunities to coach in a range of sports which will challenge and develop your understanding of your coaching practice. You will have the opportunity to coach peers, school groups and external clubs and organisations
- Expert staff who have taught in the sport development and coaching sectors and have published work in these subject areas
- Diverse range of future career path preparation, including sport development, community coaching, international sport development, teaching, and entering the growing sector of social entrepreneurship
- Excellent facilities including state of the art inclusive University Arena, 3G AstroTurf, dance studio, outdoor educational site including lake and outdoor activity centre, S&C suite and gymnasium
- Opportunities to progress onto routes into teaching or Master's level study
- Sports-related volunteering and Earn as You Learn opportunities
- The opportunity to study abroad for one semester
- Shortlisted for Times Higher Education’s University of the Year in 2016, 2019 and 2020
- Top 5 in the UK for Quality Education in Times Higher Education’s University Impact Rankings 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Sustainability Institution of the Year in the Green Gown Awards 2019
- Top 10 for Sustained Employment - Longitudinal Educational Outcomes survey (2017)
For a breakdown of the modules you'll study each year visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'.
For detailed information about assessment, feedback, teaching and contact time visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The University of Worcester accepts all qualifications within the Tariff, and normally looks for the equivalent of 3 A levels. More information can be found at http://www.worcester.ac.uk/journey/entry-requirements.html
Additional entry requirements
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.